top of page

Gravity Sketch

VR - Infinite Layers


User Experience  |  User Interviews  |  UX Design  |  Virtual Reality  

Project Overview

Layers are an important feature for any design tool. Being a 3D design software, layers in Gravity Sketch are crucial for separating content, grouping assets and isolating parts of the composition to better focus during the creative process. Given the amount of feedback and request from GS users, we decided to improve Gravity Sketch layers feature. This was mainly a UX project, we kept the existing UI and build a new UX on top of that.

My role in this project was to take part to interviews, gather feedback and requests, determine and prioritise which features to implement and make a brief to handle to developers and engineers.

User Feedback and Planning

Layers tool in GS was already good, but had some limitations. We interviewed some users and organised feedback / feature requests workshops to understand which issues they were experiencing using layers. We set priorities based on 4 main points:

  • How positively the new UX / Feature would impact the software in long term

  • How easy to implement in terms of time and effort would the new UX / Feature be

  • How scalable to the rest of the software would the new UX / Feature be

  • What opportunities would the new UX open

Then we determined the new UX and Features: 

  • Option to add infinite layers

  • Better visual identification of active layer

  • Better layer panel scrolling / browsing experience

  • Easier selection of active layer

  • Deleting and arranging layers to be consistent with the rest of the app ( grab and drop vs point and click )

The Concept

I produced 8 slides where the new features were explained in a visual, simple and clear manner. Workflow with developer was pretty smooth.

After some internal testing, another team took care of testing the new UX with GS users.

NEW - 0.5.png
NEW - 1.png
NEW - 7.png
NEW - 3.png
NEW - 6.png

Feature release

Being a single feature, iterations and testing were pretty fast for this project, and we wer able to release the new feature within a few weeks after our first iteration.

bottom of page